Wholesome rice salad
This surprisingly tasty rice salad is full of nutrients and fibre and is a fabulous lunch box option.
- 100 grams red rice
- 100 grams wholegrain rice
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1/2 pomegranate seeds only
- 40 grams parsley and/or coriander chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds/sunflower seeds
- 1 lemon juice only
- cooked broccoli, roasted peppers, grated carrot
Place the red and wholegrain rice into a medium-sized saucepan. Cover with 500ml of water, pop on the lid and leave to soak for at least an hour.
Bring the pan to the boil without removing the lid. Once steamed is coming out, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave it cooking for 20 minutes - but don't forget about it! Lift the lid to see if all the water has been absorbed - once it has, turn off the heat and leave to steam for 5 minutes, then tip out into a bowl and leave to cool. All this can be done the night before you want the rice.
Tip the cooked and cooled rice into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Check the flavour and add more lemon, herbs or seasoning as needed.