Second in my series on quick meals, here’s a super quick stir fry that literally takes 10 minutes. Serve it with either brown rice noodles or leftover cooked whole-grain rice (properly reheated of course) and it’s a fully plant-based, gluten free meal that your tastebuds and body will love.
It’s packed full of rainbow veg so you are getting a wonderful range of healthful phytonutrients (as well as tastiness), plant protein from the chickpea and of course lots of fabulous fibre for your gut. The super green sauce is quite dazzling; do remember to add the lemon juice though. This helps keep the sauce bright but also enables your gut to absorb the iron and other nutrients found in these lovely leaves.
Do give this a try as I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised just how easy and tasty this simple dish is; a perfect boost for mid-week energy. I’d love to hear what you think.
Stir fried veg with chickpeas and green sauce
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1/2 head broccoli
- 6 medium mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 100 grams cooked chickpeas
- 3 handfuls spinach rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- water to cover
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of water in the bottom of a non-stick stir-fry pan. Quickly slice the onion and red pepper and add to the pan. Sauté for a couple of minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Slice the broccoli into small florets, rinse with water and add to the pan. Slice the mushrooms and grate the garlic. Add these to the pan and continue to stir fry on a medium heat. Don't let the garlic burn - add a little more water if needed.
- Whilst the veg are cooking, pop the spinach, tahini, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and seasoning into a small blender jug or nutribullet jug. Add enough water to just cover and blend until smooth - add more water if it's too thick. Taste and add more lemon, seasoning or nutritional yeast as required.
- Tip the chickpeas into the pan and cook for one minute. Then add the green sauce. Stir well to combine then reduce the heat and allow it to warm through but not boil.
- Whilst the sauce is warming, reheat the leftover rice or cook the packet rice according to its instructions.
- Tip the hot rice into a large bowl and add the veggies and sauce. Serve immediately.