With the kids back at school and more people at their place of work rather than at home, packed lunches are back in focus. It can be hard to know what to put in that’s healthy, unprocessed and, of course, tasty. It’s even more challenging if you are creating packed lunches for a nut free environment, particularly schools.
If this is you, then hopefully you will find these super tasty savoury carrot flapjacks a useful addition to your repertoire. Savoury flapjacks I hear to say? Why not?
I will confess the original idea wasn’t mine. I saw a video by Riverford Farm where their chef made savoury carrot flapjacks, but their recipe contained cheese and egg – not for a plant-based eater! So I decided to make my own whole-food plant-based version.
This recipe uses ground flaxseed as the egg replacement, which adds in extra anti-inflammatory Omega 3 fatty acids as well as some more gut-loving fibre. And the seeds make sure there are extra nutrients like zinc and magnesium (pumpkin seeds) and calcium (sesame seeds). And of the course the nutritional yeast gives it a lovely savoury flavour along with B12.
Oats are such a wonderfully flexible, cheap and sustainable ingredient. Full of amazing soluble and insoluble fibre, they are great for gut health and can help with all sorts of health issues. They contain a particular soluble fibre called beta-glucan which can help expel excess cholesterol, stabilise blood sugar levels and help feed your magical microbiome. Oats also contain a range of nutrients as well as tiny polyphenols that can help reduce inflammation and high blood pressure.
These flapjacks are super flexible as you can add or omit ingredients according to your intolerances or food needs. Use gluten free oats if you are gluten free and omit the nutritional yeast if yeast intolerant. You could also use other vegetables like sweet potato, parsnip or courgette, but make sure you press the water out of the courgette or they’ll be rather soggy!
I hope you enjoy these yummy savoury flapjacks. If you make them, do send me a photo or let me know how you get on.
Savoury carrot flapjack
- 200 grams finely grated carrot
- 175 grams oats gluten free if needed
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard optional
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. Line a 20cm square baking tin line with non-stick baking paper
- Mix the ground flaxseed, water and Dijon together in a small pot and leave a few minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, add the oats, carrot, herbs, garlic powder, seeds, salt and pepper. Mix together
- Add the flaxseed mix and stir well to combine. After a minute or so the mix will start to stick together.
- Press the mix into the tin and spread it out to all the corners.
- Sprinkle the hemp seeds and nutritional yeast over the top and gently press into the surface.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin then cut into 8 slices. Once completely cook, transfer to an air-tight tin and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.