Is it possible to make fully vegan and gluten free pancakes without a disaster in the kitchen? Yes it is! And they taste amazing too.
You’ll find a range of different pancake recipes on the blog like yummy oat and banana, pumpkin and even savoury Indian pancakes. They’re all super tasty, but a little ‘different’ – certainly not like the pancakes I remember having as a child on pancake day, thin and flexible. Although I also didn’t really like the ones mum served up (although I’ve never told her that 😉 )
The pancakes I’m sharing with you today:
- look like ‘normal’ pancakes
- are easy to cook
- are flexible so easy to fold without breaking
Just in case you haven’t seen my other posts, my top tips for successful plant-based pancakes using no oil (particularly when they’re gluten free too) are:
- use a good quality non-stick crepe or flat frying pan
- pre-heat the pan on a medium setting for 3 minutes to make sure it’s hot
- do not turn the pancake until the bubbles have stopped forming on the top (otherwise it will stick and gloop goes everywhere!)
- have patience – and don’t be disappointed when the first one doesn’t go well. The first one never does!
This gluten free pancake recipe uses gluten free flour mix, chickpea flour and cornflour. You can use either 100% gluten free flour OR chickpea flour but the cornflour is a must. This is what helps the pancake mix to bind and ensures it’s flexible. There is one more really important step for this recipe that makes all the difference between flop and failure:
- you must leave the mix to rest for 15 minutes before using it.
Patience really is key. Trust me – I’ve had many disasters 😉
If you’re making sweet pancakes, feel free to add a little sugar or maple syrup. It’s not essential though if you prefer to be sugar free, more for those like me with a sweet tooth.
This recipe makes 6 good sized pancakes. If you need more, just double or even quadruple the recipe. And as for toppings, well that’s entirely up to you! If it’s Pancake Day, then you might want the traditional route of lemon and sugar. Otherwise just add whatever you fancy. You could try this berry sauce or my chocolate sauce recipe as a treat.
However you eat them, I hope you enjoy these delicious gluten free fully plant-based pancakes. Let me know how you get on.
Fabulous gluten free vegan pancakes
- non-stick crepe pan or flat frying pan
- 40 grams gluten free flour mix
- 60 grams chickpea/gram flour
- 25 grams cornflour or tapioca flour
- pinc salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup optional
- 250 ml soya milk or dairy-free milk of choice
- Place the flours, sugar if using and salt into a medium sized bowl and mix well. Add the soya milk and whisk with a balloon whisk until you get a batter with no lumps (you might want to use a blender if your flour is a bit lumpy)
- Leave to rest for 15 minutes
- Pre-heat the pan for 3 minutes on a medium heat.
- Pour half a ladle-full of mix into the middle of the pan. Spread it out gently with the back of the ladle
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Bubbles will form on the top.
- When the bubbles have finished appearing, gently loosen the edges of the pancake with a fish slice and flip over.
- Cook for another minute until that side is lightly browned.
- Transfer to a warm plate and repeat until all the mix is used up
- Serve with toppings as desired.